[zeromq-dev] v3.1 publisher filtering

Steve steve.friendly at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 23:48:58 CET 2012

I have a high level question about how a v3.1 publisher handles sending
updates to subscribers.  I understand that v3.1 can push the subscription
filtering further towards the publisher but to what degree I'm unclear on.

Here is a very simple usage example:

1) Publisher has a list of topics that are randomly updated 10 times a
second.  There are a total of 26 topics and each is a single lowercase
alpha character representing the English alphabet (a - z).
2) Subscriber 'A' subscribes to just a topic matching "a".
3) Subscriber 'B' subscribes to all topics ("").

In version 2.1, I believe Subscriber 'A' would receive all the messages and
that the zeromq client library would filter them so the client would only
see updates on 'a'.  In version 3.1, is it possible to filter the messages
at the publisher so that Subscriber 'A' only receives updates on topic 'a'
(no filtering done on the client) and that Subscriber 'B' receives all
updates on all topics (a-z)?

Thanks,

Steve