[zeromq-dev] pyzmq version when built against libzmq master (head)

Brian Knox briank at talksum.com
Sun Mar 11 21:38:49 CET 2012

I'm working on testing some code against pyzmq zeromq 3.1 (specifically,
the head of libzmq as of a couple of days ago).  I'm running into a problem
where pyzmq built as an rpm (via python ./setup.py bdist_rpm) reports it's
version as 2.1dev.  If I run python ./setup.py build, I see the proper
version number detected:

--------------------------
Configure: Autodetecting ZMQ settings...
    Custom ZMQ dir:       /usr/local
gcc -pthread -fno-strict-aliasing -g -O2 -DNDEBUG -g -fwrapv -O3 -Wall
-Wstrict-prototypes -fPIC -I/usr/local/include -Izmq/utils -Izmq/core
-Izmq/devices -c detect/vers.c -o detect/vers.o
gcc -pthread detect/vers.o -L/usr/local/lib -Wl,-R/usr/local/lib -lzmq -o
detect/vers
    ZMQ version detected: 3.1.1
Warning: Detected ZMQ version: 3.1.1. pyzmq's support for libzmq-dev is
experimental.
---------------------

But looking in the generated spec:

%define name pyzmq
%define version 2.1dev
%define unmangled_version 2.1dev
%define release 1

This is causing an issue when trying to test salt against the 3.1 dev
branch.  The code in pyzmq around detecting / setting the zmq version is
quite complex, so I figured I'd ask for pointers on how to hack the version
return.

Thanks!
Brian