[zeromq-dev] XREP/XREQ And Inproc . Clean Shutdown

Ian Barber ian.barber at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 17:39:01 CET 2012

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 3:51 PM, john skaller
<skaller at users.sourceforge.net>wrote:

> A server must actually shutdown the reader, loop or poll for a read
> of EOF, then close the socket. Reading EOF on a shutdown receiver
> appears to be the only way to ensure delivery of transmitted data.
> The timeout in the polling or wait loop prevents  rogue clients from
> choking the server with open sockets.

Worth checking with Martin, but I believe this is how it works, as of some
time last year perhaps. The socket on closing gets handed off to a reaper
thread to deal with. Mike Pearce wrote a good paper on how the shutdown is
handled: http://www.zeromq.org/whitepapers:0mq-termination - it's not TCP
specific, but might help clarify.

Ian