[zeromq-dev] missing events ZMQ_FD / ZMQ_EVENTS

Justin Karneges justin at affinix.com
Tue Jun 26 01:16:02 CEST 2012

On Wednesday, May 02, 2012 03:27:42 AM Paul Colomiets wrote:
> Ok. Behind the scenes ZMQ_FD, is basically a counter, which wakes up
> poll when is non-zero. The counter is reset on each getsockopt ZMQ_EVENTS,
> zmq_send and zmq_recv.
>
> The following diagram shows race condition with two sockets A and B,
> in a scenario similar to yours:
>
> https://docs.google.com/drawings/d/1F97jpdbYMjjb6-2VzRtiL2LpHy638-AEOyrUX84
> HL78/edit
>
> Note: the last poll is entered with both counters set to zero, so it
> will not wake up, despite the fact that there is pending message.

Was there ever a resolution on this?

I am using ZMQ_FD now to integrate into an event loop, and I am seeing some
odd behavior when testing a hello world REQ/REP on the REP side.

The REP server binds and waits for data. The fd is indicated as readable
twice. First, the events are 0 (maybe this happens when the client connects?),
then the events are 1 (ZMQ_POLLIN). The server considers the REP socket
readable and so it reads a message without blocking. Now it wants to reply,
but it considers the socket not yet writable. I was expecting that after
reading from the socket, the fd would be indicated as readable and the events
would be 2 (ZMQ_POLLOUT). However, this event never comes and so the server
just idles.

Now here's where it gets weird: if I kill the client (which was also waiting
around, as it never got a reply), then the server gets new events with
ZMQ_POLLOUT set. This causes the server to finally write its reply to the REP
socket, without blocking. Of course there is no client, so this write goes
into a black hole.

My guess is that the events change with ZMQ_POLLOUT is somehow being
backlogged, and the client disconnect helps push the queue another step
forward. I found that if, immediately after reading from the REP socket, I
query ZMQ_EVENTS, then I can see the ZMQ_POLLOUT being flagged even though I
never got a read indication on the fd.

Does this mean that maybe I need to check ZMQ_EVENTS not only after read
indications on the fd, but also after anytime I call zmq_recv() ?

Thanks for any help.