[zeromq-dev] Statistics protocol (ESTP) v0.2

Schmurfy schmurfy at gmail.com
Fri Jun 8 12:21:32 CEST 2012

In the intent of building a protocol which is easy to read as a human why
using obscure symbols to denote the metric "type" ?
I am talking about <^>,<'> and <+>

I kinda like the statsd approach on this (https://github.com/etsy/statsd),
why not using something like this (for the value field):

gauge: 32.45|g
counter: 129800|c
derive: 56|d

always having the type would also be nicer as opposite that having gauge
considered as default.

There is also the option to have the type as a proper field:
ESTP:org.example:sys::cpu: 2012-06-02T09:36:45 10 7.2 g

The resource name is explained but not present in the fields description
for the example (above), is it the part after the "::" in the application
name ?

Other that these remarks this is starting to look like something I could
use :)

Ps: I sent you a pull request for a typo