[zeromq-dev] Statistics protocol v0.1

Marten Feldtmann itlists at schrievkrom.de
Fri Jun 1 08:04:33 CEST 2012

Hello,

we are actually in the process of implementing a statistic system for
our C#/Smalltalk application system using ZeroMQ and we have included
the following information in our telegrams.

We used an UDP approach (subscribe method) and we had several statistic
collectors within our network to save the information sent from all our
0MQ communication nodes.

We included the following informations in our implementation:

-> subscription filter
-> location (computer) of the process sending this information
(ip-number - no name)
-> name of the process
-> process id
-> start-time of statistic interval (in ASCII to make it more readable
in a format like: 01.06.2012T21:00:00.000+12 .. in that well known
format) and including timezone information.
-> duration length of the statistic interval in milliseconds
-> symbolic name of the statistic producer (0MQ node)
-> sub-symbolic name of the statistic producer (0MQ node)
-> number of bytes received/sent in that interval
-> number of telegrams received/sent in that interval

In our system we name 0MQ communication node an item, which communicates
with the network (sending and/or receiving data) and the default
statistic interval length is 60 seconds.

Within one process we may have several communication nodes - even of the
same type. Each communication node has a special work to do, therefore
it is represented by a symbolic name defining this type.

Marten