[zeromq-dev] Statistics protocol v0.1

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Fri Jun 1 00:34:01 CEST 2012

Paul,

FWIW, my advice on writing protocol specs is not to place them in the
public domain (which has no legal meaning in many countries) but to
license them under the GPL. This ensures that extensions to your
protocol are published. (The protocol license obviously has no impact
on software that implements it.)

You may find the templates at rfc.zeromq.org useful. They come from
the Digital Standards Organization (www.digistan.org).

If you really want to allow people to create closed extensions, then
you might use CC0 (http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/).

-Pieter