[zeromq-dev] Possible to Build Actual N-to-N Topology?

Jakub Witkowski jpw at jabster.pl
Fri Jan 27 09:24:01 CET 2012

Hello,

2012/1/26 Martin Sustrik <sustrik at 250bpm.com>:
> On 01/26/2012 11:13 AM, Michael Craig wrote:
>> In a bunch of the marketing copy, ZeroMQ claims to handle N-to-N
>> topologies. Is this actually true? It would seem not, since one side of
>> a Push/Pull or Pub/Sub topology has to bind (which only one node can
>> do). The closest I can figure out is an N-to-1-to-N topology with some
>> kind of router in the middle. Does ZeroMQ actually provide some way to
>> eliminate that single point of failure in the middle?
>
> You can have a device in a middle or you can use multicast which boils
> down to using network switch as a device in the middle.
>
> A solution to eliminate SPoFs that's used quite often in environments
> with high reliability requirements is to have 2 network switches and 2
> NICs in each box (each NIC is connected to each switch). That kind of
> setup, combined with each 0MQ endpoint being connected to all the other
> 0MQ endpoints does the job.
>
> It's of course a nightmare to manage, but sometimes the reliability
> requirements are so high you want to go that way.

In a more distributed and less "enterprisey" environment, one can
imagine using some discovery protocol (broadcast, zeroconf, DNS...) to
help autoconfigure nodes; there's nothing inherently limiting N-to-N
situations in ZeroMQ but, at the same time, the library does not do
peer searching for you.

For a truly homogeneous setup, you probably will need two sockets per
node, one PUB and one SUB, with some connect-back algorithm.