[zeromq-dev] Fwd: Exact matching on subscription topics

Andrew Hume andrew at research.att.com
Thu Jan 19 17:55:47 CET 2012

ok, i get it now.

to me, this is analogous to the whole "look ma, i can use load balancing
to do job scheduling" schtick. it is really a level or two of complexity
more than you would (or should) expect the library to do.

to my mind, we should do this sort of subscription stuff at user level
and use the zmq stuff to do routing. but what do i know?

	andrew

On Jan 19, 2012, at 8:12 AM, Staffan Gimåker wrote:

> On Thu, 2012-01-19 at 04:29 -0700, Andrew Hume wrote:
>> okay, 10s of millions of what?
>> i understand the stock exchange example, but thats only thousands..
>
> I don't really wanna go into detail on this if I can avoid it but: we
> use pubsub to publish stuff to our users from our backend (not zmq all
> the way, but zmq pubsub in the backend part of it). The number of topics
> all in all are linear to our total number of users, not a small set of
> fixed topics. With a lot of users this adds up to a lot of
> subscriptions. For example we publish stuff "your friend X did Y".
>
> Hope that made some sense at least.
>
> /S

Andrew Hume  (best -> Telework) +1 623-551-2845
andrew at research.att.com  (Work) +1 973-236-2014
AT&T Labs - Research; member of USENIX and LOPSA