[zeromq-dev] Docs

john skaller skaller at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Jan 15 07:03:07 CET 2012

Hi again .. I'm just reading:

///
int zmq_msg_close (zmq_msg_t *msg);

Description

The zmq_msg_close() function shall inform the ØMQ infrastructure that any resources associated with the
 message object referenced by msg are no longer required and may be released.
Actual release of resources associated with the message object shall
be postponed by ØMQ until all users of the message or
underlying data buffer have indicated it is no longer required.
///

and I'm a bit confused. What does "all users of the message" actually mean?

To put the question in context, I will be doing this, and I hope it is OK:

p = new zmq_msg_t;
// use it
zmq_msg_close(p);
delete p;

As far as I can see messages (i.e. zmq_msg_t objects) are exclusively owned
by the client.

When the address of one is passed to a zmq function, the function is
*borrowing* it, but the responsibility is entirely on the client to make
sure it is not deleted (or inappropriately modified) until the function
returns (eg sendmsg/recvmsg).

My actual implementation is allocating zmq_msg_t on the heap
and using the pointer to call all functions. The heap allocation
is garbage collected. A wrapper around zmq_msg_close will
be used as a finaliser.

Sorry, its just that my brain thinks of "message" as a thing sent along
the wire with some semantic content. A zmq_msg_t is not a message
in that sense, its a message holding container: you can move messages
in and out of it with init_data, send/rcv and move/copy. I would have called
it a message buffer but it isn't that either (the buffer is an internally managed
array which can hold a message).

--
john skaller
skaller at users.sourceforge.net