[zeromq-dev] How to read client's IP address from zmqsocket using tcp

Yi Ding yi.s.ding at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 01:04:16 CET 2012

On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 2:15 PM, Pieter Hintjens <ph at imatix.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 1:50 PM, Yi Ding <yi.s.ding at gmail.com> wrote:
>> OK, got confused because the git page indicates that VTX depends on
>> ZMQ.  Is it possible for us to "backport" this feature to ZMQ?
>
> Perhaps, but we would need more agreement on whether or not that is
> the way identities should work.
>
> -Pieter

Apologies in advance for being a newb, but do we need to have IP
addresses supersede identities?  Could we not get both the IP address,
and the identity?  This way we can use identities for routing, if
people want to call their endpoint "cat" they can still do so and send
to that endpoint, while allowing us to get IP addresses for things
like creating a directory server, or a service discovery server.