[zeromq-dev] Design advise

Nishant Mittal nmittal at rblt.com
Fri Dec 28 19:08:53 CET 2012

In my use case,
- I have a queue (a proxy with ROUTER in the front and DEALER in the back).
- Client has a DEALER socket that connects to the ROUTER in the proxy
above. not using as I want the client to be able to send multiple jobs
without waiting for a response
- Worker has a REP socket that connects to the DEALER in the proxy above
- this is working great, however, a design goal is to not let 1 client
block other clients from sending and receiving responses which is what is
happening at the moment. If the first client sends a lot of requests BEFORE
the second client started sending its requests then first all the requests
of the first client are served and then the second.

How can I improve this design so if 1st client sent 10000 requests and then
2nd came along and sent 1 request, it doesn't have to wait for the 10000
requests to finish?

I guess one solution would be to lower the high watermark so the 1st client
would be blocked from sending more but feel that would hurt
performance/scalability.

thanks
Nishant