[zeromq-dev] Question about Strange Socket Pairing

Matt Goodman meawoppl at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 00:36:45 CET 2012

I am writing an application that uses ZMQ for a couple of different things,
one of which is error logging.

For reasons that somewhat complicated, the logging server is written in
Node, and the "clients" are Python and C++.

I had no trouble getting everything to commuicate, and send messages with
relative ease, however I wanted to ask a question about a strange socket
pairing that I found to work, when I didn't expect it to.

Initially, my logging was done with a node "PULL" socket, and several other
"PUSH" clients.  I wanted to eliminate the blocking behavior.  I started
the transition to the PUB/SUB model, but when I had retooled 1/2 of my
code, the tests I had passed.

Specifically, I had a PUB socket talking to a PULL socket . . .
successfully. . .

Is this pairing allowed, and are there unintentional oddities I will run
into with it?

Oh.  Great project/product, and good work!  Thanks!
--Matthew Goodman