[zeromq-dev] Zyre: interface selection and implementation separation

Victor Perron victor at iso3103.net
Sun Dec 2 16:02:18 CET 2012

Hello everybody,

I have been interested into Zyre lately.

I have tested that in a few situations (WLAN/Ethernet - mixed LANs, various
architectures, Android phones...) and there is something that I feel a
little limiting:
the current interface selection algorithm looks for the first WLAN
interface available and uses that one to send its beacons.

Still, I do want zyre to be working from my wired devices too - so this is
already a little blocking un this case - and also, at a deeper level, the
functions (in C) used to identify those interfaces are not always well
supported on each target.
We already know that quite a lot of OSes do not have the
getifaddrs/freeifaddrs functions, that can be easily circumvented.

But also some Android versions/phones, for instance, do implement
SIOCGIWNAME ioctl() call, some don't.
In the end, doing this kind of detection limits the portability of Zyre on
those devices, and totally prevent wire-base LANs to be compatible (I think
it's good if they can !)

Why not more simply use the latest non-loopback interface that bears an IP
address for instance ?

Also, on a whole different level, I am asking myself why the C and Java
implementations of Zyre are in the same repository ?
It's hard to make all the contributions match at the same time, and I
think-maybe I'm wrong- that this will sooner or later lead to two quite
different implementations in the same repo, same commit; which is
misleading.
What do you think about a separation ?

Regards,
--