[zeromq-dev] Performance numbers with various message patterns

girish kumar girishbangaram at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 23:26:19 CEST 2012

Hi All,

We are running some performance tests with zero-MQ with REQ/REP, PUB/SUB
and PUSH/PULL.

The following are the results with what we come up with. We get different
numbers with different messaging pattern.

All these results were computed on a System with Processor : Intel Core
i3-2120 CPU @ 3.30GHz × 4 and 4G RAM.

1) REQ/REP pattern - 16 client threads and single server no worker threads
(All running local)
 message size - 64 byte message.

Server is able to handle 72000 messages/sec

2) Pub/Sub pattern - single publisher and single subscriber (All running
local)
message size - 64 byte message
Server is able to handle 2.2 Million messages per sec.

3) Push/Pull pattern - 4 push clients and single pull server (All running
local)
Server is able to handle 250000 messages per sec.

The very first things is, the variation of the numbers in these scenarios
is acceptable?

We have requirement of using REQ/REP model. But, can we achieve higher
throughput with REQ/REP pattern?

Any suggestions/help in this regard is highly appreciated.

--
With Best Regards,
Girish