[zeromq-dev] zeromq, pyzmq, pyRpc issue

Jan Grec jgrec at redhat.com
Thu Aug 30 15:46:39 CEST 2012

Hello everyone!

I'm currently trying to solve a problem involving python-zmq and pyRpc.
I'm a zmq newbie.

PyRpc (http://pypi.python.org/pypi/pyRpc/0.2) (author is CC'd).

In our example, I deploy one server (S) and (possibly) multiple clients (C).

Our server is started with N 'worker' threads.

Client connects to our pyRpc server and server.call()'s one of the
exported functions.

Our server handles client request by assigning it to one of the
available workers (W) using the zmq.QUEUE device to handle queuing
and distributing requests to workers (workers are connected
through inproc protocol).

When client sends a request, zmq.QUEUE assigns them one of the
workers and sends the request to this worker. The worker then processes
the request (in the worker thread, not a new thread) and sends results
back to client.

The worker will not begin to process additional requests from the
client until after the first/current request is completed.

IOW, the worker is blocked and cannot manage any of other of the
client's requests (requests are waiting in queue).

 _____________________
|    Server-side      |
|                     |
| | W |  | W |  | W | |
| |___|  |___|  |___| |
|   |      |      |   |
|    \     |     /    |
|     \____|____/     |
|    |           |    |
|    | zmq.QUEUE |    |
|    |___________|    |
|_____/___|___\_______|
     /    |    \
    /     |     \
  _|_    _|_    _|_
 | C |  | C |  | C |

The problem then, is how to handle a client's CTRL-C when what we want it to
mean is 'hey server! stop processing this client request!'?

Right now, CTRL-C kills the client, as expected, but what needs to be done
so that the client can also pass the message along to the server that it
needs to kill the request on the server side as well?

I've created some example to illustrate the problem:
simple server: http://pastebin.com/t2mk6jSQ
simple client: http://pastebin.com/2LyTkpmU
some notes: http://pastebin.com/371VxiE1

I'm out of ideas. If you have a solution or idea how to solve this,
I'd be very thankful.

Thanks for your help
Jan Grec

--