[zeromq-dev] Too much ZeroMQ overhead versus plain TCP Java NIO Epoll (with measurements)

Stuart Brandt stu at compuserve.com
Thu Aug 30 05:32:30 CEST 2012

Inline

On 8/29/2012 10:37 PM, Robert G. Jakabosky wrote:
> echoloop*.c is testing throughput not latency, since it sends all
> messages at once instead of sending one message and waiting for it to
> return before sending the next message. Try comparing it with
> local_thr/remote_thr.

Echoloopcli does a synchronous send, then a synchronous recv , then does
it all again.  Echoloopsrv does a synchronous recv, then a synchronous
send, then does it all again.  I stuck a while loop around the send call
because it isn't guaranteed to complete with all bytes of my 40 byte
packet having been sent. But since my send queue never maxes out, the
'while' around send is overkill -- I get exactly 1000000 sends
interleaved with 1000000 recvs.

On 8/29/2012 10:35 PM, Julie Anderson wrote:

> Very awesome!!! Are 18 micros the round-trip time or one-way time? Are
> you waiting to send the next packet ONLY after you get the ack from
> the previous one sent? Sorry but C looks like japanese to me. :)))

Round-trip.