[zeromq-dev] Why ZeroMQ has so much overhead?

Apostolis Xekoukoulotakis xekoukou at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 06:25:07 CEST 2012

Julie, I get 22 us on my loopback device. My computer is not that great.
(ddr2, linux).

It is very easy that you do your own benchmarks. Just grub the source from
git.
1)autogen.sh
2)configure
3)make
4)make install
5) check perf folder
6)execute remote_lat and local_lat on the same port of your loopback.

7)tell us the results

2012/8/29 Julie Anderson <julie.anderson.uk at gmail.com>

> I sent an email earlier titled: "Java NIO Selector Minimum Possible
> Latency".
>
> I am NOT doing anything fancy like kernel bypass.
>

> On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 8:17 PM, Steven McCoy <steven.mccoy at miru.hk>wrote:
>
>> On 28 August 2012 20:11, Julie Anderson <julie.anderson.uk at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Over 10GbE ZeroMQ claims a latency of 33 micros from end-to-end<http://www.zeromq.org/results:10gbe-tests-v031>.
>>> If you subtract 2 micros from "over-the-wire" transit time it is still 31
>>> micros. That's a lot!
>>>
>>> But if you make a simple test sending one packet from one side to the
>>> other, the total time is around 11 micros, or three times faster.
>>>
>>> What does ZeroMQ do to introduce 3 times more latency to the messages?
>>>

>> That document is 4 years old, hardware is faster today and
>> low-microsecond RTT requires a user-space stack to bypass kernel overheads
>> which Mellanox didn't have then.
>>

>> http://www.mellanox.com/content/pages.php?pg=products_dyn&product_family=106&menu_section=69
>>
>> --
>> Steve-o