[zeromq-dev] License clarification

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Tue Aug 28 14:42:49 CEST 2012

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 9:33 PM, Martin Sustrik <sustrik at 250bpm.com> wrote:

> Till August 2010 all the outside contributions to the project had to be
> licensed under MIT license. MIT requires that "The above copyright
> notice and this permission notice shall be included in all copies or
> substantial portions of the Software".

Good point, Martin.

We never added the MIT/X11 copyright header to any source files; the
license grant was of the form "I license this under MIT/X11". This
allowed us to relicense the whole as LGPLv3.

We then switched to a model where all contributors owned their
patches, and the whole could be licensed under LGPLv3.

One could argue that it's cleaner to remove this historical text. It
may not be fully accurate with the MIT/X11 terms but it's consistent
with the intentions of all contributors.

Comments?