[zeromq-dev] ZeroMQ How can server mantain connections with all clients?

Chuck Remes lists at chuckremes.com
Mon Aug 27 14:59:46 CEST 2012

On Aug 26, 2012, at 11:23 AM, Alexander Voron wrote:

> I have the following task:
>
> Clients connect to a server on 1 port (e.g. 8080). The server should
> remember them and after completing calculation it should send results
> to the clients. After that server gets some results again and again
> sends it to all clients. And so on.
>
> How can server mantain connections with all clients?
>
> I considered PUP\SUB pattern, but my server and clients can sit at
> different networks\behind NAT. I've found some code uses PUB\SUB model
> and works with NAT here
> http://grokbase.com/t/zeromq/zeromq-dev/112q9934vg/nat-firewall-pub-sub-traversal
> however I have no idea how it works, how can publisher send messge
> behind NAT.
>
> I think the most robust solution is connection should be initiated by client.

You should investigate the Majordomo protocol that is described in the guide. It relies on DEALER/ROUTER sockets for "remembering" how to route replies back to the original client. Right now it only handles a single reply going back to a client for each request, but you could easily modify it so that a client could receive multiple replies. I have done so for a private project of mine and it was easy.

If you haven't read the guide yet, you should. It covers many different use-cases and scenarios.

cr