[zeromq-dev] Server/Client: Like a duplex connection

Andrew Hume andrew at research.att.com
Fri Aug 24 17:23:26 CEST 2012

simplest answer: 2 sockets.

one is a pub/sub with subscriptions as you have figured out.
the other i would do as a simple PUSH/PULL for requests
	(the scheduler binds witha PULL, and clients PUSH via a connect)

the reponse to a request can go out over the PUB/SUB socket.

On Aug 24, 2012, at 8:14 AM, Ricardo Wickel wrote:

> Hallo Community,
>
> I have read several times the sections "Core Messaging Patterns" in the Guide and "socket types" in zmq_socket (3), but I don't get the stuff  :)
>
> Once before thank you for your help!
>
> I have the following scenario
> - 1 server, n clients
> - each client can send requests to server (both types: two-way and one-way)
> - each client can subscribe to server with specific "filter" (maybe prefix?!)
> - server responds to client requests (if two-way requests)
> - server publish messages to specific subscribed clients (for specific filter/prefix)
>
> Unfortunately I still do not know how I can do this duplex connection.
> Do you have an idea or recommendation?
>
> Maybe the solution is the double of "PUB and SUB" and "REQ and REP".
> And how should I manage the two threads on both sides?
>
> If you have any code for me C#, C++, C is fine.
>
> Thanks,
> Ricardo

Andrew Hume  (best -> Telework) +1 623-551-2845
andrew at research.att.com  (Work) +1 973-236-2014
AT&T Labs - Research; member of USENIX and LOPSA