[zeromq-dev] Keeping processes up and running

Paul Colomiets paul at colomiets.name
Thu Aug 16 22:30:37 CEST 2012

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 12:56 PM, andrea crotti
<andrea.crotti.0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Now I have many nice processes that do their job communicating via
> zeromq socket, and it's all very nice.
>
> But how do you try to ensure the fact that they should be running all
> the time?
>
> For example I would like to have always between 50 to 75 workers
> running, but I also want to be able to stop them all or some of them,
> and restart only the needed number I want..
>
> Is it maybe better to try to handle all these things from the operating
> system or from another manager process?

Yes you need a process manager, and it's not related to zeromq. There
is one from me:

https://github.com/tailhook/procboss

It is suited to run many similar processes (it lacks docs, so feel
free to contact me privately to ask). There are also a lot of them:
runit, daemontools, supervisord, sysvinit, systemd, upstart, launchd,
just to name a few. AFAICS, none of them suited to run tons of similar
processes, but YMMV.

And Salt has no process supervising, has it? It can run a service or
check is it alive, but is also not suited to run lots of identical
workers. Please, point me to the docs if I'm wrong.

--
Paul