[zeromq-dev] fire up new subscribers

Chuck Remes lists at chuckremes.com
Tue Aug 14 15:30:26 CEST 2012

On Aug 14, 2012, at 8:10 AM, andrea crotti wrote:

> 2012/8/14 Pieter Hintjens <ph at imatix.com>:

>> Yes, when we update the Guide for 3.x...
>>
>>> This for example doesn't work, because the setsockopt is not compatible:
>>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>>  File "xsub.py", line 21, in <module>
>>>    sock.setsockopt(zmq.SUBSCRIBE, '')
>>
>> Set the subscription on a SUB socket, not an XSUB.
>>
>> -Pieter
>

> I don't understand what you mean exactly, and changing XSUB to SUB
> still doesn't work...

You are using undocumented socket types. Unless you feel like digging into the code and figuring this out yourself, I recommend you use socket types that have already been documented.

In this example, you cannot call zmq_setsockopt() on a XSUB socket and pass the ZMQ_SUBSCRIBE flag. It is not supported. To set the subscription using XSUB directly, you would need to generate and send messages using the proper formatting for an upstream PUB socket to understand. You could figure this out by looking at how a SUB socket does it since that socket type is built on top of XSUB.

Shorter answer: you will need to read the code to figure this out. Alternately, wait for updated documentation that could be months away.

> And where should I use XSUB then if the subscriber should always be SUB?
>
> But a more important question, is XSUB supposed to work fine on 2.2
> too since that's what I have to use now for production?

Andrea, this was answered about a week ago in this same thread. You need 3.2 to use XSUB.

cr