[zeromq-dev] ZMTP/1.1, comments

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Mon Aug 13 03:49:54 CEST 2012

On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 9:18 PM, Martin Hurton <hurtonm at gmail.com> wrote:

> The challenge frame is specified as:
>     challenge  = %x04 %x00 version socket-type more

Seems the challenge should be:

    %x03 more version socket-type

> Also, the specification defines the LABEL bit which should be set to 1
> to mark label frame (I think both identity and anonymous frames
> qualify as label frames).

Good point. I'll make that change too.

What's more difficult is to ensure that existing (deployed) 0MQ
applications deal with a ZMTP/1.1 connection safely. If we can't do
this, it's going to be impossible to connect old and new together.

If we can't implement ZMTP/1.1 than (a) I'm going to reproach Martin
Sustrik for refusing to help make a proper protocol ages ago when we
had the chance and (b) we need to at least make PUB sockets smart
enough to know whether they're talking to new XSUBs or old SUBs.