[zeromq-dev] link error when trying to compile 32 bit jzmq

Tom Rutherford tom.rutherford at uleth.ca
Wed Aug 8 05:29:28 CEST 2012

Hi folks,

I'm afraid I'm in a bit over my head here. I'm trying to use 0mq to connect
a python process with a Max MSP <http://cycling74.com/products/max/> process
on osx 10.6.8, and am getting mired in 32 vs 64 bit compatibility issues.
Max uses externals written in java, so I've installed the java bindings for
0mq. The default zmq and jzmq compiles give me x86_64 libraries (I don't
fully understand why, because uname -a tells me I'm running a 32 bit
kernel), and these libraries work fine as long as Max is out of the
picture. My simple java test program can use 0mq to interface with python,
and everything looks good.

However, when I try to run my java code from within Max, I get:

"java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError:/usr/lib/java/libjzmq.0.dylib: no suitable
image found. did find: /usr/lib/java/libjzmq.0.dylib: mach-o but wrong
architecture"

My understanding is that that Max is loading a 32 bit jvm, so I need a 32
bit version of the jzmq library files. Following Pasi Mankinen's
directions<http://article.gmane.org/gmane.network.zeromq.devel/5836/>,
I've been able to compile 32 bit versions of the zmq files (is this
neccesary? I don't know), but when I try to do something similar with jzmq,
using the command:

"CFLAGS="-arch i386" CXXFLAGS="-arch i386" LDFLAGS="-arch i386"
./configure"

I get:

checking for zmq_init in -lzmq... no
configure: error: cannot link with -lzmq

Can anyone offer insights into what I'm doing wrong? I assume my paths are
correct, as this whole thing works if I leave out the compiler flag
arguments, but I have very little experience with this sort of thing.

Thanks in advance,

Tom Rutherford, BASC
M.Sc Candidate
University of Lethbridge