[zeromq-dev] ZMQ Freezing Windows

Steve Hawkins shawkins at evosus.com
Tue Aug 7 18:22:21 CEST 2012

Dave, I have experienced the freezing problem you describe with Windows 7. I am using the NUGET package in a Windows service project built with VS 2010. It may freeze with no keyboard and mouse control  and you must perform a power button shutdown. Alternatively it may slow down the UI greatly, when this happens task manager will reveal that the process 'ekrn.exe' (this is ESET) is taking 50% of cpu resources, but Windows behaves like it is taking 99%. I found this post that pointed me in the direction of antivirus, ESET in my case.

https://github.com/zeromq/pyzmq/issues/160

If you are using ESET antivirus or some other antivirus make an exception for your executable. In ESET it is found under Advanced setup > Antivirus and antispyware > Exclusions. Add the path to your executable.

- Steve