[zeromq-dev] Reconnection doesnt work in PUB SUB for unsafe exit

Susan Tharakan susantharakan83 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 11:49:45 CEST 2012

Hi,

I have had a major issue while testing out zeromq 3.2.0-rc1 in a pub sub
scenario.

The scenario is described as follows

1. Start Subscriber
2. Start Publisher
3. Messages start flowing from publisher to subscriber

Till now things are fine

4. Kill the publisher possibly by using SIGTERM
5. Wait for a little while till all messages in queue are read by subscriber
6. Reinstantiate the publisher.
7. !!! The message flow doesnt restart !!!

I tried out the same scenario on the older version of zeromq ie. 2.0 and
the message flow in step 7 continues.

Looking at the socket status using netstat -an, here's what I found

In zeromq 3.2 rc1 socket status
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:63669         127.0.0.1:11512
CLOSE_WAIT

while in zeromq 2.x the status goes first to
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:11512         127.0.0.1:56091
TIME_WAIT
and then connection dies.

Is this is a bug?  If not, how does zeromq handle scenarios where
publishers can go down unexpectedly. I shall post the small test code I
used to recreate this problem if required.

Thanks
Susan