[zeromq-dev] Why are there two repos?

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Tue Aug 7 03:15:07 CEST 2012

On Tue, Aug 7, 2012 at 2:40 AM, AJ Lewis <aj.lewis at quantum.com> wrote:

> So the ABI hasn't changed from zeromq 3.0 to 3.2, is that correct?

The ABI version isn't the same as the product version. It was moved to
3.0.0 in 0MQ/3.1.0.

> Typically you'd want to at least rev the last number for every
> release so you could have multiple concurrent versions installed, but
> I don't know how many people actually use that.
>
> This is a good rundown of how it "typically" works, FWIW:
> http://plan99.net/~mike/writing-shared-libraries.html

It's fun and quite easy to test a hypothesis like "we absolutely need
accurate ABI versioning".

If no-one makes a pull request with a patch, and takes ownership of
the problem over time, we can be quite confident that the problem
isn't really there, or isn't serious enough to worry anyone.