[zeromq-dev] ZMQ Freezing Windows

Chuck Remes lists at chuckremes.com
Tue Aug 7 00:30:14 CEST 2012

On Aug 6, 2012, at 5:03 PM, Dave Rutlidge wrote:

> I've been trying to write a broker using ZMQ and found that it would occasionally lock my PC totally, requiring a power-off as the usual Ctrl-Alt-Del etc, and even a shutdown request by pressing the power button did nothing.
>
> I tried simpler and simpler examples and still have the same things happen. In the end I tried building the example code from The Guide.  I tried the lruqueue2 example code (C# version) and got a whole set of HELLO and OK messages, the they slowed and stalled.  Then the console froze, then explorer, then the mouse. One dead PC. Out of interest, I left it to see if it would ever come back - it hasn't after an hour.
>
> One time, when I ran the built code and got an assertion failure (sorry, I don't know what it was right now). When I Googled it it was about Windows not allowing more than 64 (?) handles by default and suggested changing a constant and recompiling. I don't know if that's related.
>
> I'm using the NuGet package (http://nuget.org/packages/clrzmq) v 2.2.5 on a Windows 7 Pro machine and the VS2012RC.  I've tried both the 16 & 32 bit versions of the library.
>
> Any ideas?

My guess is that you are running code that is building up a queue so large that it consumes all RAM on the machine. For *every* zeromq socket you are creating, please set a high water mark to a small value like 100. Then run your code again.

Fire up the task manager and watch RAM consumption. If you see it spiking to a large percentage of your machine's capacity, kill it.

cr