[zeromq-dev] ZMQ Freezing Windows

Dave Rutlidge anemailfordave at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 00:03:09 CEST 2012

I've been trying to write a broker using ZMQ and found that it would
occasionally lock my PC totally, requiring a power-off as the usual
Ctrl-Alt-Del etc, and even a shutdown request by pressing the power button
did nothing.

I tried simpler and simpler examples and still have the same things happen.
In the end I tried building the example code from The Guide.  I tried
the lruqueue2 example code (C# version) and got a whole set of HELLO and OK
messages, the they slowed and stalled.  Then the console froze, then
explorer, then the mouse. One dead PC. Out of interest, I left it to see if
it would ever come back - it hasn't after an hour.

One time, when I ran the built code and got an assertion failure (sorry, I
don't know what it was right now). When I Googled it it was about Windows
not allowing more than 64 (?) handles by default and suggested changing a
constant and recompiling. I don't know if that's related.

I'm using the NuGet package (http://nuget.org/packages/clrzmq) v 2.2.5 on a
Windows 7 Pro machine and the VS2012RC.  I've tried both the 16 & 32 bit
versions of the library.

Any ideas?

TIA

Dave