[zeromq-dev] Why are there two repos?

Allan Wind allan_wind at lifeintegrity.com
Sun Aug 5 06:55:56 CEST 2012

On 2012-08-05 13:05:57, Pieter Hintjens wrote:
> We use repos instead of branches, for stable versions.
>
> It works thus: development happens on libzmq, and when we decide it's
> ready for a new major release, we create a forked repo. Patches go
> into this repo, which gets a more and more strict process as the
> codebase gets more mature.
>
> It's confusing but no more so than multiple branches in one repo,
> which has other big problems. See http://unprotocols.org/blog:24 for a
> discussion of that. A single large repo is fragile and complex. Yes,
> most projects do that. No, we're not most projects.
>
> New users should not see the repos, these are for contributors.

Thanks for the quick answer, Pieter, and for documenting the
choices the project has made.  Honestly, I do not find the
arguments in the blog post particular convincing, but if it
works well for the project that is all that matters.

New users, I imagine, land on
<http://www.zeromq.org/intro:get-the-software>
which gives these options and no guidance as to what is
preferred:

    POSIX tarball | Windows sources | git repo | git master
    Windows installers

Btw, working through the zguide and it is very nicely done.

/Allan
--
Allan Wind
Life Integrity, LLC