[zeromq-dev] Why are there two repos?

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Sun Aug 5 06:05:57 CEST 2012

On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 12:02 PM, Allan Wind
<allan_wind at lifeintegrity.com> wrote:

> Why are there two repos (zeromq2-x, zeromq3-x)?  It is confusing
> when you come to zeromq as a new user.  Perhaps release 3.2 would
> be a good time to convert both into branches of a single zeromq
> project?

We use repos instead of branches, for stable versions.

It works thus: development happens on libzmq, and when we decide it's
ready for a new major release, we create a forked repo. Patches go
into this repo, which gets a more and more strict process as the
codebase gets more mature.

It's confusing but no more so than multiple branches in one repo,
which has other big problems. See http://unprotocols.org/blog:24 for a
discussion of that. A single large repo is fragile and complex. Yes,
most projects do that. No, we're not most projects.

New users should not see the repos, these are for contributors.