[zeromq-dev] zmsg_send() and send errors

Andrew Hume andrew at research.att.com
Fri Aug 3 15:59:18 CEST 2012

although i don't use this interface,
i think the precedent of having send return an error is bad.

the issue is an old one: if i do a send, did it get there?
there is only one way to answer that correctly, which is an end-to-end scheme.
anything else is half-assed, and to the extent that having a return would
encourage folk to do a half-assed job, we shouldn't.

On Aug 3, 2012, at 1:10 AM, Pieter Hintjens wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 2:50 AM, AJ Lewis <aj.lewis at quantum.com> wrote:
>
>> Can we look at changing the return type of zmsg_send() to be an
>> int?  I know that would break compatibility, so maybe that's a
>> non-starter.
>
> It seems a small breakage for a useful change... let's see if anyone
> vetoes it. If not, I'd suggest sending the pull request.
>
> -Pieter

Andrew Hume  (best -> Telework) +1 623-551-2845
andrew at research.att.com  (Work) +1 973-236-2014
AT&T Labs - Research; member of USENIX and LOPSA