[zeromq-dev] [crossroads-dev] [ANNOUNCE] paperjam -- device implementation for zeromq and crossroads

Paul Colomiets paul at colomiets.name
Wed Apr 18 23:27:49 CEST 2012

Hi Pieter,

On Thu, Apr 19, 2012 at 12:03 AM, Pieter Hintjens <ph at imatix.com> wrote:
> Note that libzmq does include zmq_device(), we put it back in since
> people wanted it back and there was really no valid reason for
> removing it in the first place.

That's nice. But for my use case we have a lot of python processes
(not threads because of global interpreter lock), so in process device
is not useful for us.

I'm also too greedy to have device per thread, because at each
node we have device number proportional to total number of nodes.
However, I haven't done any benchmarks, so not sure if it's real
problem.

> It would be useful IMO to clean-up zmq_device(), add the monitor
> socket, .

Yeah. If I need in-process device I definitely choose built-in one.

I'm not sure monitor socket is a good idea. It looks like useful, but
I doubt it's nice addition into zeromq. I think we should wait until
it will prove itself useful. E.g. I haven't tried to use it in pyzmq.

> and remove the device type which was never really needed

IIRC you argued that we need to keep device type in ZDCF,
didn't you?

--
Paul