[zeromq-dev] BSON as high performance serialisation

Wolfgang Richter wolf at cs.cmu.edu
Sun Apr 1 00:27:47 CEST 2012

On Sat, Mar 31, 2012 at 5:33 PM, Rick Olson <technoweenie at gmail.com> wrote:
> How's BSON compare to msgpack?  I've started using that in places.

In my mind, it seems like the performance of BSON and msgpack could be
comparable.

msgpack's specification is more generic than BSON's (no
MongoDB-specifics), and it seems to be a bit more well specified.  In
addition, msgpack doesn't require a string 'key' per message, and it's
format seems to be more compact (space-efficient) than BSON.  This
might imply quicker encoding/decoding, although that could also be
implementation-specific.

msgpack looks really nice :-)

Both seem simple enough to implement on your own (no external
dependencies introduced which can be nice).

However, msgpack seems nice because an ecosystem of software including
RPC is built around it (although reinventing the communication layers
which could be managed by 0MQ...).

BSON's canonical implementation is the one included in MongoDB.

I'd expect things like msgpack to "win" in the long run (unless the
BSON spec is changed to be simpler+more generic; it's already simpler
than msgpack though) because they are more generic.