[zeromq-dev] using 4.0?

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Tue Sep 27 14:30:10 CEST 2011

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 3:51 AM, Bob Beaty <drbobbeaty at gmail.com> wrote:

> Be that as it may. I'm on the 2.1.x branch now, and I look at the 3.x and
> 4.x and wonder if I need to upgrade what the real path is.

I think we all share these questions and worries.

To some extent this is the cost of rapid change, and we've had the
choice several times: do we freeze development and focus on
maturation, or do we continue freely with development and allow the
various versions to mature naturally? We've always chosen the second
path.

Ultimately the question is: do we want 0MQ to move forward, or focus
on stability? If it's moving forward that is most important, then
we're always going to have three versions live at any time: stable,
beta, experimental. It's just unfortunate that there's an API and
protocol break between stable and beta right now.

This page may help: http://www.zeromq.org/topics:planning

Things we need to do IMO:

* Encourage users to download official packages, not github
repositories. It's time to make new 2-1 and 3-0 releases.

* Label the development master clearly as "Experimental" (there are no
packages for it).

* Avoid sending new users to the development master. They should be
using 2-1 or 3-0.