[zeromq-dev] using 4.0?

Martin Sustrik sustrik at 250bpm.com
Mon Sep 26 12:27:26 CEST 2011

Hi Chuck,

> Should we be using 4.0 yet?

No.

It's an experimental code and it should not be used in the production.

The problem you are having have been reported several times: People are
not sure where 0MQ is going, which versions to use etc.

For example, last week I've met Matthias Goetzke who flew to London
specifically to discuss this issue. He's going to write an email about it.

As far as I can see the problem is caused by mixing experimental code
and "real" code under the same brand name (0MQ), which in turn causes
confusion and uncertainty.

I've proposed moving the experimental code out of 0MQ project couple of
times already, but people have asked me not to do so. We are getting hit
by consequences today.

So, my proposal would be to present ourselves to public in the following
way:

2.x --- stable/legacy version
3.x --- the new thing to gradually switch to

Everything else should be considered to be random experimentation and
not promoted as a core product under 0MQ brand.

Of course, experimental branches can be used as sources of patches for
the mainline product.

Thoughts?