[zeromq-dev] help/advice for using XREP pattern when running many FSM/co-routine actors in a single thread.

Chuck Remes cremes.devlist at mac.com
Sun Sep 25 20:33:51 CEST 2011

On Sep 25, 2011, at 11:54 AM, Pieter Hintjens wrote:

> On Sun, Sep 25, 2011 at 10:44 AM, Chuck Remes <cremes.devlist at mac.com> wrote:
>
>> These notifications will be available with the new ZMQ_ROUTER socket which is *completely* different from the current ZMQ_ROUTER socket even though it has the same name. (No, this won't cause any confusion as people migrate... :-P
>
> If you have a better naming suggestion, I'm sure no-one will mind. It
> was my suggestion to reuse ROUTER rather than kill off DEALER/ROUTER
> and invent another name.

Clearly, it is *much* easier for me to make snide complaints without having any real suggestions for improving the situation. :)

Let me throw out a few suggestions...

ZMQ_FOUNDATION

ZMQ_BUILDER

ZMQ_LEGO (my favorite)

ZMQ_CIRCUIT

ZMQ_CONSTRUCTOR

To me, the basic idea behind the new ZMQ_ROUTER socket is that it can be used to construct higher-level socket patterns. A library consisting of only ZMQ_ROUTER could be used to build the usual REQ/REP, XREQ/XREP, PUSH/PULL sockets that we have all come to know and love. So, I think its name should reflect that power.

This reply kind of hijacks the thread (I apologize).

cr