[zeromq-dev] Zero MQ Wrapper APi language binding convention

Patrick Marques patrickfmarques at gmail.com
Mon Sep 19 11:02:20 CEST 2011

I have another question about bindings, in the code style you write "C++
exceptions are not to be used within the core codebase".
I've asked to  gonzus (Gonzalo Diethelm) on its java binding why don't use
exceptions to give the "error" of unimplemented operations (on this thread
https://github.com/zeromq/jzmq/issues/73).
What is your opinion about this? Exceptions are quite heavy but on this case
for something that we expect never occurs, specially on this case, where the
operation are not supported (for instance, due to support version 2 and 3).
Return -1 can give the ideia that this was working og worse int sets where
nothing was done, (return forced, for instance
https://github.com/zeromq/jzmq/blob/master/src/org/zeromq/ZMQ.java#L715)

Patrick