[zeromq-dev] multiplexer pattern

Martin Sustrik sustrik at 250bpm.com
Sun Sep 18 18:40:06 CEST 2011

On 09/18/2011 06:31 PM, Jakub Witkowski wrote:

> Yes, I gathered that from the thread. Still, does this mean that with
> 4.x we will have this event exposed?
> This will make some of the most compelling use cases (Like the Titanic
> pattern) of ZMQ a lot less appealing.

Yes. It's already there.

How it works is that certain messages are marked as commands. In pseudocode:

bool cmd = s.getsockopt (ZMQ_RCVCMD);

The command is either "connect" event (1) of "disconnect" event (2) --
the command ID is encoded as the first byte of payload. In both cases it
is followed by connection ID.

The API is only a strawman so far. Comments are welcome.