[zeromq-dev] PGM/ePGM questions

Steven McCoy steven.mccoy at miru.hk
Sat Sep 10 02:19:55 CEST 2011

On 10 September 2011 04:31, Tom Wilberding <tom at wilberding.com> wrote:

> We have a TCP based application that we would like to migrate to PGM or
> ePGM (it is one way PUB/SUB). My understanding is that the PGM support
> in ZMQ is built atop OpenPGM.
>
> Are there any hardware requirements (switch hardware support) to run
> these protocols. For instance, our network engineer was asking me
> specifically if the software will "make request for rdata if a packet is
> missing anything" or do we need to configure the Cisco gear to manage
> some of this for us.
>
> Can I use PGM or ePGM without any special hardware support?

ePGM is the easiest as it requires no special configuration or
administrative rights.

Network element acceleration only occurs across a Cisco router, not a
switch, with PGM assist enabled using the PGM protocol.  You also need to
enable the IP Router Alert usage inside OpenPGM, it is disabled by default
as it causes many routing switches to have problems, they will need vendor
fixes to specifically address this issue.

In 0MQ both protocols have a unicast back channel from the receiver to the
sender and multicast TTL 1 to other receivers.

--
Steve-o