[zeromq-dev] How to do reliable fire and forget with a HWM?

Martin Sustrik sustrik at 250bpm.com
Sat Sep 3 10:35:44 CEST 2011

Hi Edward,

> Last month I submitted bug https://zeromq.jira.com/browse/LIBZMQ-229
> push/pull + HWM + slow puller + zmq_close = lost message. Recently a
> comment was posted suggesting that this be closed "won't fix." I've
> been meaning to ask about this so nows the time;)

I've already replied saying that it's a valid bug and should be fixed.

> Am I correct in concluding that when using a HWM ZMQ
> doesn't provide reliable fire and forget? I'm hoping this isn't the
> case.

Please be aware that fire-and-forget is a myth. If you send a message
and the downstream node responsible for the message fails, its HD
catches fire or the box gets hit by meteorite, the message is going to
be lost. This applies not only to 0mq but any "fire-and-forget" technology.

> Is there another solution that I am missing that doesn't require
> switching from a simple push/pull message flow?

Nope. The bug should be fixed.