[zeromq-dev] 0MQ + standard RPC

Martin Sustrik sustrik at 250bpm.com
Mon Nov 28 15:55:20 CET 2011

On 28/11/11 15:36, Jakub Witkowski wrote:

> ... has evolved well beyond initial assumptions into a "universal"
> monstrosity that requires massive amount of careful work to produce and
> parse back. Example: SOAP.

I would also add that 0MQ's separation of transport from serialisation
allows you to choose the least monstrous monstrosity for serialisation
purposes :)

> On the other hand, making a "RPC-like" system, fully customized to your
> application based on ZMQ is very simple; it more or less involves
> copy-pasting the dealer/router pattern from the examples and  putting in
> your business logic in. Toss in Google Protocol Buffers and suddenly you
> have a full featured solution that is both easy to write and very, very
> fast.

I don't know which language you are using 0MQ from but it's quite
possible that the language binding already supports some kind of
serialisation.

If not so, try searching the web. I guess someone have already combined
0mq with some serialisation library and uploaded the result somewhere.