[zeromq-dev] x64 build target for Windows?

Steven McCoy steven.mccoy at miru.hk
Sat Nov 19 03:17:00 CET 2011

On 18 November 2011 13:12, John D. Mitchell <jdmitchell at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Nov 18, 2011, at 10:08 , Steven McCoy wrote:
> > On 18 November 2011 12:57, John D. Mitchell <jdmitchell at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Sorry for jumping in late, but you might want to check out Gyp:
> > http://code.google.com/p/gyp/
> >
> > Looks a PITA for Windows, much like SCons before it.
>
> Can you elaborate? It looks like one spec and it will generate the
> VisualStudio project files for you and then you use VS as normal.

Still I might give it a go, but I'm eye rolling at the mass of JSON.  It's
just as tedious as Ant or Maven's XML frenzy.  The biggest problem is the
ability or lack of ability to AutoConf which is really useful, obviously,
for cross-platform and more importantly cross-compiler support.  The
Chromium team only target three platforms, it's trivial to hard code
platform differences.  Consider something basic like flags to enable C99
support, everywhere is completely different.

CMake always wins from the end-developer viewpoint, it's very difficult for
other systems, including AutoMake to compete.

--
Steve-o