[zeromq-dev] C++ high level binding

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Thu Nov 3 16:56:15 CET 2011

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 4:46 PM, Martin Lucina <martin at lucina.net> wrote:

> I also prefer libraries to do one bit and do it well, Pieter is more a
> one-hammer-for-everything kind of guy, sometimes.

Well, CZMQ literally emerged from the Guide examples as a necessary
layer to write simpler 0MQ apps in C. I'm not sure how you could do it
simpler. Certainly writing 5 libraries instead of 1 would not be
simpler. There is no code in CZMQ that's not used.

> Regarding SO_LINGER/blocking zmq_term(), it is a matter of opinion.
> Technically, your application will only block forever on zmq_term() if you
> have outstanding messages which cannot be sent anywhere.

Nope, it will block if you have open sockets, even without pending
messages. Try creating a socket, then terminating. It hangs.

The name for the C++ binding should have been, IMO, consistent with
other language bindings.