[zeromq-dev] Heartbeating and keep-alive

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Fri May 20 12:19:16 CEST 2011

Hi,

I've collected a minimal use case and design for heartbeating, based
mainly on discussions happening on the IETF HyBi list where they're
designing websockets. The topic is very relevant to 0MQ because we use
heartbeating in various patterns.

The page is: http://www.zeromq.org/topics:heartbeating

A few of the unprotocols on rfc.zeromq.org do heartbeating of one kind
or another. E.g.

* http://rfc.zeromq.org/spec:12 (unilateral HUGZ with no response expected)
* http://rfc.zeromq.org/spec:11 (ping-pong commands)
* http://rfc.zeromq.org/spec:10 (ping-pong commands)
* http://rfc.zeromq.org/spec:7 (heartbeat commands)

The goal here would be to (a) document a single pattern we can use
consistently, and (b) eventually get this pattern into sockets and the
wire level protocol.