[zeromq-dev] Assertion failed: nbytes == sizeof (command_t) (mailbox.cpp:246) during orderly shutdown.

Pieter Hintjens ph at imatix.com
Tue May 17 23:26:43 CEST 2011

Hi Mike,

> I attach a test that creates the error. Unfortunately the error is part of a
> race condition and I found that it occurs more frequently if
> zmq::mailbox_t::recv function can loop faster....

> Sorry also that the test is using QT. I am guessing that QT is making a big
> difference regard this race condition and so I am not sure of any advantage
> to remove it,

For us, a test case that depends on QT is unusable, it will take us
too long to get it working and we'll be unable to separate any
QT-dependent aspects from the problem itself. :-/

We do need a pure minimal test case, sorry about that. If it's a race
condition during shutdown, a script that starts and stops the test
case over and over should reproduce it.

For examples of test cases, see https://github.com/zeromq/issues

Thanks, Mike, if you can get this crashing in plain simple C, it'll be fixable.

Cheers,
Pieter