[zeromq-dev] Developer documentation

Martin Sustrik sustrik at 250bpm.com
Tue May 17 12:39:51 CEST 2011

Hi Mike,

> I was looking for a document that describes the internal message passing
> between reaper, thread and context.
>
> I am trying to understand why the reaper is not sending stop messages
> during my termination sequence. I see the term-ack coming back from the
> io_thread_t. So I am reading the source to make my own documentation so
> that I can understand the issue well enough to report a bug and perhaps
> propose a fix. Some documentation on the internal message passing,
> thread model etc will be most helpful but I did not find any. I found
> some specifications but not one covering the current code design.
> Perhaps its there but I did not see it. Perhaps its in the white papers
> but this is strange. Perhaps its part of the documentation wiki but I
> again did not spot it.
>
> Can a kind sole please point me to the correct document. I am afraid
> that I am one of those folk that cannot see something in front of his
> nose and I fear this is one of those occasions and if so I apologize in
> advance for asking when I should have been able to find it on my own.
> Its also cool if I avoid an old or misleading document. The version I am
> most interested in is the one covering version 2.1.7

There's a partial document here:

http://www.zeromq.org/whitepapers:architecture

I'll link it from the left pane and from the whitepapers section.

As you can see, it's in no way complete. Thus, if you find out something
that's not covered by the document, please edit the wiki page. I'll be
happy to review it.

Also, if there's something that's not covered in the doc, feel free to
ask either on the ML or on the IRC.