[zeromq-dev] EPGM & ZMQ_RATE
steven.mccoy at miru.hk
Fri May 13 22:16:16 CEST 2011
On 14 May 2011 00:19, Michael Holm <Michael.Holm at tibra.com> wrote:
> 1. Is anyone currently using EPGM/0MQ in a production environment that is
> willing to get in touch to discuss the performance.
> 2. I have been playing with the ZMQ_RATE option with EPGM. I have noticed
> that the higher the value the better the performance but when this value is
> set to 1,000,000 weird things happen with 0MQ on both sides. Typically a
> value of 100,000 seems to be okay and stable but the throughput is not as
> This is my test 100,000 messages (67 bytes) published to the clients.
> I see from the documentation the default value is 100 (kilobits per
> second). Is kilobits a typo?
That isn't a typo, but I did bump it up to 40mb/s (40 * 1000) in 2.1.6 to
make the default case more useful for quick testing, I wouldn't recommend
setting it above 600mb/s it would typically be safer to be at 40% line
capacity at 400mb/s. The setting no longer includes recovery data as it
uses PGM_ODATA_MAX_RTE which is a more useful setting for most users, it can
be refined further with the OpenPGM API but it has not been shown necessary
You definitely want a rate set on Windows platforms as the platform really
does not like running at full speed, significantly driven by coarse grained
I would quickly try some alternative timers to ensure your systems don't
have TSC instabilities, e.g.
But it would look like your rate limit is way too high, consider performance
testing with pgmping and iperf to gain a base line.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the zeromq-dev