[zeromq-dev] HWM default

Andrew Hume andrew at research.att.com
Sun May 8 15:38:09 CEST 2011

having fixed HWM also consititutes a stability threat, namely that of deadlocks.
and these are often far harder to diagnose than gradually increasing memory footprints.

if dos is your threat model, then i think you might need more stuff anyway.
(such as autoshed when the HWM is reached) or somesuch.

andrew

On May 8, 2011, at 1:21 AM, Martin Sustrik wrote:

> On 05/08/2011 10:15 AM, Tobias Hintze wrote:
>>> I though of changing the default value for HWM to say 1000 in 0MQ/3.0.
>>>
>>> The rationale being that unlimited buffer is a stability threat. In
>>> other words, default socket when overloaded or DoS'ed will run out of
>>> memory and crash the application rather than behave decently.
>>
>> a HWM measured in the amount of allocated socket-buffer would make
>> the choice of such upper default limit easier, would it?
>
> Agreed. However, doing so would require non-trivial changes to the codebase.
>
>> "1000" is pretty arbitrary when messages sizes can differ a lot.
>
> Yes. But still better than deterministically running out of memory I guess.
>
> Martin

Andrew Hume  (best -> Telework) +1 623-551-2845
andrew at research.att.com  (Work) +1 973-236-2014
AT&T Labs - Research; member of USENIX and LOPSA